5. Backup Quarterback: Brett Hundley vs DeShone Kizer
Even though the winner of the backup quarterback competition won’t have to see the field very often (hopefully), it’s incredibly important for a number of reasons.
More from Green Bay Packers
- Packers Week 14 Rooting Guide: Best Outcomes for Playoff Odds
- What to Know: Packers reportedly sign RB Kenyan Drake
- Packers Rookie Ladder After Massive Win Over Chiefs
- What to Know: Packers claim CB David Long off waivers
- Packers Week 13 Playoff Update: Green Bay Controls Their Own Destiny
First, it might determine how many quarterbacks the Packers keep on the roster. If both players show out and have tremendous camps, Green Bay might be inclined to keep both of them. If Hundley has a great camp and Kizer struggles, the Packers might also be inclined to keep both of them due to Hundley’s pending free agent status and Kizer being a second round pick just last year.
However, if Kizer totally dominates the matchup and proves his worth, Green Bay might be more willing to cut Hundley, freeing up a roster spot at a different position. This is critical because the Packers have rarely carried three quarterbacks on their 53-man roster.
Second, in the nightmare scenario where Rodgers goes down (even if it’s for a short period of time), Green Bay is going to want their quarterback to play better than last season. This is a great time for the young men at this position to catch the coach’s eye and prove they will be ready if called upon.