St. Louis Cardinals manager Mike Matheny announced his lineup for Tuesday’s All-Star Game at Target Field in Minneapolis and the National League skipper pretty much buried the three Milwaukee Brewers who are starting the game.
Third baseman Aramis Ramirez is batting sixth, catcher Jonathan Lucroy—starting in place of injured Yadier Molina of the Cardinals—is in the No. 8 spot and Carlos Gomez is getting a double diss—batting ninth and moving from center field to left field.
Andrew McCutchen of the Pittsburgh Pirates will lead off and play center field.
“It’s not an easy decision and [I] realize you can’t go wrong either way,” Matheny told MLB.com of the decision. “I think we’re just going off of experience and we’re talking an MVP player. Andrew McCutchen is one of those standout players defensively.”
Matheny makes a great point. After all, it’s not like Gomez won a Gold Glove in center field last season or anything … oh, wait.
The complete lineup is below:
- Andrew McCutchen, CF, Pittsburgh Pirates
- Yasiel Puig, RF, Los Angeles Dodgers
- Troy Tulowitzki, SS, Colorado Rockies
- Paul Goldschmidt, 1B, Arizona Diamondbacks
- Giancarlo Stanton, DH, Miami Marlins
- Aramis Ramirez, 3B, Milwaukee Brewers
- Chase Utley, 2B, Philadelphia Phillies
- Jonathan Lucroy, C, Milwaukee Brewers
- Carlos Gomez, LF, Milwaukee Brewers
The American League lineup is:
- Derek Jeter, SS, New York Yankees
- Mike Trout, LF, Los Angeles Angels
- Robinson Cano, 2B, Seattle Mariners
- Miguel Cabrera, 1B, Detroit Tigers
- Jose Bautista, RF, Toronto Blue Jays
- Nelson Cruz, DH, Baltimore Orioles
- Adam Jones, CF, Baltimore Orioles
- Josh Donaldson, 3B, Oakland Athletics
- Salvador Perez, C, Kansas City Royals